Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Adventures of Batman and Robin

I want another dog.  My old dog, a black lab named Pal who was a very good boy oh yes he was who's a pretty puppy boy, died about two years ago.  I desperately want to get another dog because dogs are freaking awesome, as we all know.  Unfortunately I can't get one because we had Pal for about fifteen years and Brogue before that for about the same amount of time.  Sure, Dad would love to get a new dog, but Mom is somewhat less enthusiastic.  Actually, she's just enthusiastic for the idea of not getting another dog.  She's pretty tired of dogs after having had one for twenty-five or thirty years now.  Besides, he works in a daycare, she spends all day dealing with small noisy creatures who can't go to the bathroom unattended as it is, she doesn't want to come home to it.

So right now a new dog is not really an option.  But eventually I will get a new dog, and I was talking to a friend the other day when the thought occurred to me -- what will I name my new dog?  Naming a dog is a big responsibility.  My sister named Pal, after the puppy on Arthur.  You know that book series/cartoon, it's about an aadvark with a tiny people-type nose even though the first book gave him a normal big aardvark nose and an aesop about how he shouldn't care about how big his nose is because looks aren't important.  Did you know that cartoon is still running?  Because I didn't!  Holy crap, that thing's been going since I was a kid, I remember watching it in the mornings before going to school.  That's a crazy long time for a kid's show to run.  What about Inspector Gadget, how long did that run?  Apparently they only made 85 episodes or something, but kept it in syndication for like a decade.  Dang, now I'm just getting huge nostalgia bombs.  I should look up that show about the Chinese cats who write with their tails.  Wait, cats?  I'm writing a blog post about dogs!  Dammit, keep on track.

Dog!  Naming dog.  My sister named Pal after, you know, Pal.  It was a really good name for him, because he was the sweetest, friendliest, stupidest dog you'd ever meet.  It would have been really dumb if we'd named him something that didn't suit, like Ripper or Sherlock.  Unless we were going for irony, but my sister was like seven when she named him so I don't think we really understood irony enough to base a dog's name on it.  We lucked out with Pal.  There was no guarantee that the next dog would be so accommodating to what we'd name it.

Clearly this was something to give serious thought to, while I still had time in the years between now and when I eventually get this dog.  But the other day I was talking to a friend, and it hit me!  The perfect name for whatever dog I get.  I can't believe I didn't think of it before.  I mean, my name is Robin, how can I name my dog anything other than Batman?  It's perfect!

So I was thinking about that and doing random blogspot searches -- you know, just typing in random blog names and seeing what came up -- and I found something amazing:  the name The Adventures of Batman and Robin wasn't taken.  How is this even possible.  I had assumed every single Batman-related blog title had already been imagined and claimed, especially the super-obvious ones like this.

So of course I took it.  I mean, I couldn't not take it.  What if when I get my new dog in the distant future, he wants to start a blog?  I'd have to be all, "Gee, Batman, a couple of years ago we could have had the best blog name ever, but I didn't nab it and now some twelve-year-old registered it, made one post and then fucked off into the ether never to return.  Tough luck!"  You just can't let that happen.  I don't think I could handle letting Batman down.  He's been through a lot of shit in his life, man.  Seeing his parents killed before his very eyes.  Having to wear that dorky cone after getting fixed.  Me constantly pretending to throw the ball when it's actually in my hand the entire time.  It's a hard life.  He deserves a win now and then, don't you think?

By the way, the blog Bat Shark Repellent is also free.  You know, just in case you wanted to make a totally awesome bat-blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment